Parenting Great Kids Podcast - Episode 219
Raising Strong Kids: Building Resilience in Challenging Times
with guest Dr. Jonathan DePierro
Hosted by Dr. Meg Meeker | November 21, 2023 | 46:39 min.
In our efforts to protect and shield our kids from the pain and discomfort of this world, we inadvertently can make them be more codependent and fearful instead of resilient. Dr. Jonathan DePierro shares powerful strategies for building resilience, even in the face of unforeseen adversity and chaos.
Dr. Jonathan DePierro
Dr. Jonathan DePierro is a seasoned clinical psychologist renowned for his expertise in psychological resilience and the therapeutic intervention of trauma-related mental health conditions. As an esteemed Associate Professor of Psychiatry at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, he also serves as the Associate Director of Mount Sinai’s Center for Stress, Resilience, and Personal Growth. Follow him @jon_m_depierro.
It may sound counterintuitive but our constant rescue missions and avoidance tactics are unintentionally hindering our children’s growth and ability to bounce back.
In the face of relentless bullying, Dr. Jonathan DePierro’s childhood seemed destined for darkness. But hidden within the shadows of his past lies a remarkable twist, a glimmer of hope that defies all odds. Listen to discover the secrets to raising resilient kids and how to empower them to face adversity head-on.
In this episode, you will learn how to:
- Build Resilience in Children: Discover practical strategies to help your children develop resilience skills and thrive in the face of life’s challenges.
- Importance of Social Support: Learn how fostering a strong network of social support can enhance your child’s resilience and provide them with the support they need during difficult times.
- Foster Curiosity for Resilience: Explore the power of curiosity in building resilience and discover techniques to encourage your child’s natural curiosity, helping them to develop a resilient mindset.
- The Role of the Prefrontal Cortex: Understand how the prefrontal cortex plays a crucial role in building resilience and learn strategies to strengthen this executive functioning area of your child’s brain.
- Addressing Mental Health Misconceptions: Gain insights into common misconceptions surrounding mental health in children and ensure you have accurate information to support your child’s emotional well-being.
FROM THE PRODUCER
Discover “How to Talk to Your Kids About Puberty & Sex” – a vital resource for parents with children aged 8 to 18. Equip yourself with the knowledge and confidence to have these essential conversations. Visit meekerparenting.com/courses to learn more. Get social with us and take advantage of other resources here.
Skylight Digital Picture Frames are the perfect bridge connecting you to the special moments of those you love! It’s private, pre-loadable, and you can personalize it! Visit SkylightFrame.com
Here’s the perfect gift to inspire and delight that young person in your life! The CrunchLabs build box subscription. Crunchlabs packs the fun into science by sending kids a new toy to build each month. And everyone’s favorite youtuber Mark Rober’s teaches them how! Kids LOVE IT! Go to Crunchlabs.com/DrMeg and get yours today!
Masimo Stork is a revolutionary new baby monitor. SET technology has been in use for 25 years in the NICU units of America’s hospitals – now that same technology is available at home. Masimo Stork tracks real time, with your baby’s pulse rate, oxygen saturation, and skin temperature. While not a medical device, it can ensure more confident and calmer parenting. To learn more, go to masimostork.com
Feeling a a bit uneasy about having "the talk" with your son or daughter?
View More Episodes
Episode 200 | If your kids play sports, there are some fundamental values and life lessons they can gain from them. This week Coach Denny Duron joins Dr. Meg Meeker to share his unique journey in sports and the profound impact of instilling values, teaching life lessons, and fostering personal growth in youth sports.
Episode 219 | In our efforts to protect and shield our kids from the pain and discomfort of this world, we inadvertently can make them be more codependent and fearful instead of resilient. Dr. Jonathan DePierro
Simplify Fatherhood with these Practical Tools
Don't know what to say to your kids?
Download the FREE tough conversation starter. You’ll also receive weekly empowering tips designed to simplify parenting.
Join thousands of parents raising strong kids.