Parenting Great Kids Podcast - Episode 171
Nutrition & Kids: What You Don’t Want to Overlook
with guest Marie Seiler, MD
Hosted by Dr. Meg Meeker | July 12, 2022 | 52:45 min.
Marie Seiler, MD
Marie Seiler, MD, a graduate of Saint Louis University and Ohio State Medical School, is a pediatrician who has recently retired from practice after 35 enjoyable years of caring for children and their caregivers, in both residency training and in private practice.
Kids and nutrition – this may sound like an oxymoron! With the astounding number of food options available today, especially all of the processed items cloaked in clever and colorful packaging, designed to entice children of all ages, how can parents be sure their children are getting the proper nutrition that they need? A critical part of health and development, better nutrition is related to stronger immune systems, lower risk of non-communicable diseases, and longevity. Healthy children learn better, and kids with adequate nutrition are more productive in school, and at play. Some topics covered in this episode include:
- Vitamin D: Is this supplement suggested for breast-fed babies? Formula-fed babies?
- Which supplements/minerals are most needed, and at what age should kids begin taking them?
- Which mineral specifically helps with anxiety, and is a good source of relaxation for children?
- What is a common misunderstanding when it comes to giving children milk?
- Handling the picky eater who doesn’t want to eat healthy foods
- Cooking healthy meals doesn’t have to be difficult or time-consuming! Learn how to simplify.
- Why family connection during meals is vitally important to the formation of children
- Substitute healthy snacks for processed ones (which are full of chemicals and actually harm our children)
- How setting a good precedent for kids in terms of healthy eating begins with parents
FROM THE PRODUCER
Thanks for listening to Episode #171, Nutrition & Kids: What You Don’t Want to Overlook, and for helping Dr. Meg’s parenting revolution reach more than FIVE MILLION downloads!
View More Episodes
Impossible To Keep Your Kids Off Social Media? Think Again.
Episode 201 | Nate Randle, CEO of Gabb Wireless, shares how to protect our kids from the negative effects of social media through kid-safe tech.
A Look Back at the Best of 200 Episodes
Episode 200 I Dr. Meeker has picked out some of her favorite shows from the past 7 years of podcasting. We will be playing clips of six episodes as we go down memory lane.
Episode 199 | Sarah Moore’s book, Peaceful Discipline: Story Teaching, Brain Science, & Better Behavior helps mitigate adults’ very real struggles, and gives them specific strategies that increase cooperation and connection with the children in their lives.
How to Build Trust Between You and Your Kids
Episode 198 | Dr. Henry Cloud is a clinical psychologist, pastor to pastors, and New York Times best-selling author. His 45 books, including the iconic Boundaries, have sold nearly 15 million copies worldwide.
Trading Our Fears for God’s Unshakeable Peace
Episode 197 | Katie Davis Majors is the bestselling author of Kisses from Katie and Daring to Hope. Katie is the founder of Amazima Ministries, an organization that desires to empower people in Uganda through authentic relationships, education, community strengthening, vocational training, and spiritual disciples
Helping Young Adults Launch
Episode 196 | Bruce Sheridan talks about how he is passionate about helping young adults plan and live an intentional and fulfilling life. Bruce coaches young adults to take responsibility for their relationships with God and their family/friends, what career to pursue and managing their money.