Parenting Great Kids Podcast - Episode 171
Nutrition & Kids: What You Don’t Want to Overlook
with guest Marie Seiler, MD
Hosted by Dr. Meg Meeker | July 12, 2022 | 52:45 min.
Marie Seiler, MD
Marie Seiler, MD, a graduate of Saint Louis University and Ohio State Medical School, is a pediatrician who has recently retired from practice after 35 enjoyable years of caring for children and their caregivers, in both residency training and in private practice.
Kids and nutrition – this may sound like an oxymoron! With the astounding number of food options available today, especially all of the processed items cloaked in clever and colorful packaging, designed to entice children of all ages, how can parents be sure their children are getting the proper nutrition that they need? A critical part of health and development, better nutrition is related to stronger immune systems, lower risk of non-communicable diseases, and longevity. Healthy children learn better, and kids with adequate nutrition are more productive in school, and at play. Some topics covered in this episode include:
- Vitamin D: Is this supplement suggested for breast-fed babies? Formula-fed babies?
- Which supplements/minerals are most needed, and at what age should kids begin taking them?
- Which mineral specifically helps with anxiety, and is a good source of relaxation for children?
- What is a common misunderstanding when it comes to giving children milk?
- Handling the picky eater who doesn’t want to eat healthy foods
- Cooking healthy meals doesn’t have to be difficult or time-consuming! Learn how to simplify.
- Why family connection during meals is vitally important to the formation of children
- Substitute healthy snacks for processed ones (which are full of chemicals and actually harm our children)
- How setting a good precedent for kids in terms of healthy eating begins with parents
FROM THE PRODUCER
Thanks for listening to Episode #171, Nutrition & Kids: What You Don’t Want to Overlook, and for helping Dr. Meg’s parenting revolution reach more than FIVE MILLION downloads!
View More Episodes
Episode 219 | In our efforts to protect and shield our kids from the pain and discomfort of this world, we inadvertently can make them be more codependent and fearful instead of resilient. Dr. Jonathan DePierro
Episode 214 l If you feel overwhelmed and frustrated about your child’s challenging behavior, it’s time to break free from the cycle of ineffective actions that only add to your pain.